Thursday, March 18, 2010

Who Has a Hold of You?

Good afternoon!

Have you ever had one of those weeks in which you felt like everything went wrong? Where the burdens of the week seem to override the blessings? Where the stress was so massive that you felt like you were going to break under the pressure?

I've had weeks like that and this one was getting pretty close to the brink, until I heard a great message from Rev. Bob Kippley from Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church at our Lenten Lunch and Learn yesterday. He was talking about the abundance of God's grace and how that grace extends to every part of our lives. I offered my "amen" and my head nodded as he shared the truth and mystery of Christ's grace.

But, then, God got my attention. Bob talked about the times in his life when he was tempted and when the burdens of life felt overwhelming and he said that in those times he had to ask himself, "Am I grasping God, or is God grasping me?"

What a moment of clarity for me as I thought about the many ways I try to hold onto God and make my will, His will...my ways, His ways...my thoughts, His thoughts...my heart, His heart. I try to make God in my image, instead of the other way around. When I feel that I am falling or failing, I quickly try to grab a hold of anything I can get my hands on and hold on tight, in fear of falling even farther.

In these times of struggle and strife, Bob reminded me that I need to change my perspective. I don't need to try to grasp God, I need to allow God to grasp me. That I may be able to be open to His will, His ways, His thoughts, and His heart. That I may find peace in knowing that God has a hold of me and when I allow myself to rest in His arms and in His presence, God will never let go.

What has a hold of you today? Who has a hold of you? Are you grasping God, or is God grasping you?

Please pray this pray from William Barclay in Prayers for the Christian Year:

"O God, our Father, we know that the issues of life and death are in your hands, and we know that you are loving us with an everlasting love. If it is your will, grant to us to live in happiness and in peace.

In all our undertakings,
Grant us prosperity and good success.
In all our friendships,
Grant us to find our friends faithful and true.
In all bodily things,
Make us fit and healthy,
Able for the work of the day.
In all the things of the mind,
Make us calm and serene,
Free from anxiety and worry.
In material things,
Save us from poverty and from want.
In spiritual things,
Save us from doubt and distrust.
Grant us
In our work satisfaction;
In our study true wisdom;
In our pleasure gladness;
In our love loyalty.

And if misfortune does come to us, grant that any trial may only bring us closer to one another and closer to you; and grant that nothing may shake our certainty that you work all things together for good, and that a Father's hand will never cause his child a needless tear. Hear this our prayer; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Take Care & God Bless,

Pastor Don

No comments:

Post a Comment