Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hearing God's Voice

Blessings to you and yours during this season of Lent!

Yesterday I had the privilege of talking with my younger brother, Chris, on the phone as he was calling from Iraq. It took a while to be able to talk with him because he was calling through an internet connection and we could never seem to get a good connection between us. We finally got connected, but throughout our 35 minute conversation, it was difficult to make out what he was trying to tell me.

Throughout our conversation, I had to continually tell him to speak up and let him know that I didn't understand what he had just said. Without all the starts and stops, our conversation could have lasted only 20 minutes, but it was prolonged because of the bad connection. I found myself, in the midst of talking with him, that I was focusing intently upon each word he was saying in hopes that if I even caught a few of them, I'd be able to piece together his overall message to me.

I sat at my desk, with the volume on my phone all the way up, and my other hand plugging my ear so that I didn't have any distractions. Even with the increased focus and the intent on getting as many words as possible, there were times I had no idea what Chris was trying to tell me. He bailed me out a few times when he said, "You know what I'm talking about?" I would answer with a "yes" because I didn't want him to have to go over all of it again (sorry Chris).

When I hung up with Chris, it felt good to be able to hear his voice, even though I didn't know exactly what he was saying all of the time. The joy I had was more in being able to hear his voice verses understanding the content of the conversation.

As I reflected on that call yesterday, I realized that my prayer life should often be the same way. There are so many times I pray to God. I pray for family, friends, and myself. I pray for specific situations and I seek His guidance. But, there have been many times when I am trying to listen for Him that He doesn't come through too clearly. Has this ever happened to you?

When I don't hear Him very well, I then get really focused. I become intent on listening for Him. When I do, there are times I hear Him clearly and then, just as quickly, His voice fades out. There are times I don't understand everything He is trying to tell me and I feel as if the conversation (the prayer) is a lost cause.

Yesterday reminded me of the joy I can still find in just hearing God's voice. I may not be able to understand it all of the time (He did say in Isaiah 55:8, "My thoughts are not your thoughts and my ways are not your ways...") and He may cut in and out - but I was still blessed to hear Him. To find joy in knowing He was there. To know that I mean something to Him because He answered my call.

This thought was affirmed this morning when I was reading my devotion from LIFE Group Devotions. They had a quote in there from Terri Mifek that said, "We wonder how we can make space for the wise and compassionate voice of Christ in the midst of so much noise pollution. The truth is we have to cooperate with the little opportunities we are given each day to slow down, become quiet and notice how the Holy One is speaking to us."

When I don't think I can hear God in my life, I need to slow down and become more intentional about the ways in which I can make space for Him to speak to me. I need to focus more of my energies on recognizing Him and noticing Him. I also need to be willing to find joy in the fact that when He speaks to me, I don't have to understand it, I can just rest in the peace of knowing I heard His voice.

Holy God, when the noise in my life keeps me from hearing Your voice, speak to my heart and guide my actions to slow down and listen for You. When I desire to know the mystery of You and it is not revealed in my time, bring comfort to my heart and remind me that just hearing Your voice is all the comfort I need. Help me, O God, to hear Your voice and give my life to listening for You in the little opportunities You provide. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,

Pastor Don

No comments:

Post a Comment