Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tangible Faith

Good afternoon everyone!

I am just getting back from three days in Colorado Springs where I had the honor and privilege of meeting with and affirming the ministries of men and women who have felt God's call to ministry on their lives. It is a joy to witness the fruits of their ministry and to experience the passion they have to minister to and with God's people. My service on the Board of Ordained Ministry provides me with the wonderful opportunity to witness God's hand and movment in other people's lives...so much so that they desire to give their whole lives in service to Him.

As I left this afternoon for my drive home, I was thinking about my experiences and I was reminded that God's call is the same for all of us...that we give our lives, our hearts, our jobs, in service to Him. That is the distinct mark of a Christian - when our faith is able to be manifested in ways that bring love to our world. While the call to professional ministry is one thing, the call to the ministry of service is another. When we give our lives to Christ, we are saying, "every part of my life will be given in service to you, Jesus!"

During this time of Lent - I have been reminded of the areas of my life where I have been more a consumer of God than a servant. Lent provides me (and us) with the opportunity to take a deep look at my life and to seek God's restorative grace upon those areas where I have gone astray. This season of Lent has reminded me that my faith needs to be seen...it needs to be heard...it needs to be felt...it needs to be alive.

Some of you may know who Roman Emperor Julian was in the 4th century. He was the nephew of the first Christian Emperor of Rome, Constantine. Julian was raised in the Christian faith, however, when he became Emperor, he rejected the Christian faith. This rejection, however, did not keep him from noticing the difference between Christians (whom he called Atheists) and the pagan culture he embraced.

Emperor Julian said, "Atheism (Christianity) has been specially advanced through the loving service rendered to strangers, and through their care for the burial of the dead. It is a scandal that there is not one single Jew who is a beggar, and that the godless Galileans care not only for their own poor but for ours as well; while those who belong to us look in vain for the help that we should render them."

This is the reputation that we, as Christians, should vow to return to. My hope would be that any person could sniff out the good news of Jesus on me and on the church, whether we open our mouths or not. The early church was marked by how they tangibly cared for people and it didn't seem to matter whether they played on the same team or not.

During Lent, the question that plagues me is this: "Is my faith tangible? Does it smell like a sweet offering to God? Does it taste rich and good? Does it listen and hear the cries of the voiceless? Does it touch the lives of others with the hand and heart of Jesus?"

I hope so...and even when I fail, I keep trying.

Living God, thank you for the blessing of this day. Thank you for living with us in Jesus and for living in me today. Give me courage, wisdom, and strength to live for You, so that my faith may be a tangible, life-giving, grace-filled, wonder-full, witness of my faith in You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,

Pastor Don

No comments:

Post a Comment