Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy New Day!

Christmas is all over. The baby Jesus has come. We've opened up our presents. We've started taking down the decorations. After the New Year, life will start returning back to normal...whatever that means!

Pretty soon we will be making our New Year Resolutions and in a few months lamenting that we couldn't keep our promises to ourselves this year. I often wonder why I can't follow thru on my promises to myself, to God, to my family. I wonder why I get distracted so much from my original focus and I get off track so easily.

This year, I'm not going to make a New Year resolution. Not because I don't want to disappoint myself again. Although, if I'm honest, there is probably a little inkling of that in my spirit. But, mainly because I have come to learn that growth in my life doesn't happen as much from the big promises I make, as it does with the little promises I make. You know, those every day promises that I am going to choose life over death. That I will celebrate abundance over scarcity. That I will choose love over hatred, grace over resentment, wisdom over folly, courage over fear, joy over sorrow, compassion over anger, patience over impatience. You see where I'm going.

These aren't big promises to make - these are every day promises. Promises I have to make to myself and God before I get up in the morning and with every step I take throughout my day.

We read in Philippians 2:12, "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling...". I have heard the explanation that we can "only work out a salvation that God has already worked in." In other words, Paul was telling the Philippians that they ought to conduct themselves in a manner that was worthy of the gospel of Christ (Phlippians 1:27).

Since we have been saved, our lives should bear the fruit. Without getting into too much theological mumbo jumbo, we are called to take each day as a New Day, working out our own deliverance from the things that keep us from conducting ourselves in a way that honors our Savior Jesus Christ.

So, instead of a Happy New Year, I'd like to say to each of you, "Happy New Day" - keep trying, keep pressing on, keep putting one step in front of the other as you move closer to God and Jesus. Keep it up! Don't stop! With each new step you take, you will experience the newness that Christ brings.

Loving Jesus. Walk with me in each step that I take. May your heart, your mind, your eyes, your ears, your voice, be in me. When I misstep, forgive me and gently guide me on the path that leads to You. In Your holy name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,

Pastor Don

1 comment:

  1. Great spiritual perspective on the New Year...thank you, Pastor Don!

    ReplyDelete