Thursday, January 7, 2010

Successfully Significant

Good evening!

This week has been quite a journey for me. Many who know me know that I am always thinking. Thinking about the church. Thinking about new ways to reach people. Thinking about the next item on my to-do list. Thinking about God and how He has been active in my life or what He is trying to tell me (sometimes He sounds like the character in the Peanuts cartoons - you know the one that sounds like, "Wha, Wha, Whaaaa"...does that ring a bell?). Thinking about how I am or am not being a good Dad, a good husband, a good pastor, a good leader, a good Christian, a good man. I can do so much thinking that I'm not really "good" for anything. My mind gets so full of things I'm thinking about that I lose my focus and my purpose. Does this ever happen to you? Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd like to think I'm not.

Thinking can be good. We are told in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." It all depends on what we are thinking about. Not that thinking on ways to reach people is bad or thinking about God's purpose is wrong. Thinking on these things can bring excellence to ministry and bring praise to our Lord. But, if I am only thinking on the how and not the why - then I get bogged down and the Lord gets drowned out.

In ministry and in life we think about the HOW alot! How-to books are popular. How-to build your own deck...and save money! How-to build a strong a marraige. How-to get your kids to listen to you. How-to get your parents to listen to you. How-to do your taxes. How-to grow your church. We read these books as if they have all of the answers to our success in life and faith.

I guess that is the problem with thinking about the HOW too much. When we think about the HOW, we are thinking about HOW to be successful. We are thinking about what we can do to boost our confidence, shed those pounds, and inspire the masses. When we are able to accomplish these things, we feel victorious and successful in our lives, our marriages, our ministries. But, we forget Someone very important in the process. And, when we do, our success is usually short-lived and empty.

I am not indicting the "How-to" industry. Many of the books have some great ways to be successful in life. But, is success the crown of life?

As I mentioned, this week has been a journey as I struggle with my own thoughts about success and then I read in the book The Intentional Church by Randy Pope that we should be striving, not for success, but for significance. When we strive for success - we do it for ourselves. When we strive for significance, we do it for our Lord.

I realized this week, as I thought about all the things I needed to do, that when I pursue success, I run the risk of leaving significance behind. This point was driven home this week when I called a clergy-friend of mine to work out some details for an event (that I want to be successful of course). I asked him how he was doing and he said, "Crappy." I inquired. He said that an infant in their church had just died. This precious child was no more than 3 months old. It was a miracle baby. Born at 26 weeks. Many health complications. Finally home from the hospital, the child choked on the milk he had drank just moments before. He died sleeping next to his mother.

I prayed with my friend as he was reeling from the pain of such a tragic death. I realized in that moment that we are called to significance, not success. We can be successful without being signficant, but when we pursue significance, we will always find success.

A significant person invests himself/herself into the lives of others. A significant church invests itself in walking with all people in the joys and pains of life. A significant life focuses on why we invest ourselves in such ways. Because our Lord has done the same for us. Had Jesus been successful, He would have been the King of Israel and ruler of a people. But, instead, His life was significant and meaningful, so He became the King of Kings and Savior to All.

It has been a journey this week...it will continue...as I to strive toward becoming successfully signifcant instead of significantly successful. I'd love to hear from you on how you balance this in your life.

Dear Jesus, walk with me. I want to invest my life in the lives of others in such a way that they are able to experience Your significance in their lives. Forgive me when I strive for earthly rewards and achievements. Remind me of the eternal reward that waits for me in Heaven and the present reward of Your saving grace! Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment