Wednesday, December 16, 2009

We've Got Company!

Good afternoon!

It is 9 days until Christmas and I still have 90% of my shopping to do! This is typical for me as my wife and I tend to wait until the last minute to get the perfect gift. There are other things "to do" of course to prepare for Christmas. I have had to plan 3 weeks ahead at the church so that I wouldn't have too much to do over the holidays. There have been school concerts and family get-togethers to get ready for as well. Needless to say, this time of the year is a time of preparation.

For some of you that time of preparation comes in preparing for company over the holidays. I remember when I was a kid how crazy our house would become when we were expecting company (whether for a day or a week, it didn't matter). All six kids had chores to do and when those chores were done we had other chores. The house was neat and tidy (and with 6 kids that takes some work!). We had to be on our best behavior. The preparation itself was so stressful it was sometimes too much to bear.

We can see this time of the year the same way as we prepare for company this Advent season. It can be stressful, almost overwhelming, as we prepare for the coming of Christ. But, let's not look at the outer preparations we need to make. What about the spiritual preparations we need to make for Jesus to truly come into our lives? Are we inviting Him for the next few weeks to stay a while, reside with us for a season, maybe even have some laughs with Him, commune with Him, until we send Him on His way, knowing that He will come for another visit next year?

Or, will we truly prepare our hearts and our lives to invite Him to live with us? Pastor Emily Earnshaw in her Advent devotion for yesterday said, "This year, as you prepare for Christmas, don't just prepare a path to be able to get through, create space in your life for the coming of Christ. If company comes, clear a path so they can see the house, but if someone is coming to live with you, you empty the room and dust the closet shelves. The whole world changes when a new resident is expected. What do you need to do to prepare for Christ to live with you?"

This year, may we not see Jesus as just company coming...because company eventually ends up leaving. Let's prepare for Jesus coming to live with us. Let's make room in our lives for Him to truly reside, transform, and make new our lives this season and into 2010.

Gracious God, help me make room for Jesus this season. Help me to empty myself of all selfishness and fill me with His spirit of humility and grace to welcome Him fully into my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment