Thursday, October 15, 2009

Let There Be Light

I pray this finds all of you living into your God-given potential and purpose and that you have experienced the warmth of our Lord's embrace this week.

Last night, after returning home from the church, I walked into one of the rooms in our house where a candle was lit. It was just one of those small candles sitting on a counter, flickering a small flame of light into the midst of the darkness.

A little background on me. I am one of those people who has a pet peeve about lights. To conserve energy, I am always going around the house turning off lights that have been left on after someone has left the room. If there is natural light streaming into the room, I am less likely to turn on a light. I get a kick out of people that automatically turn lights on when they enter a room, whether they need to or not! It doesn't make much sense to me.

In light of this information, I was delighted to see the candle lit. Had it not been, the room would have been pitch black and I would have had to flip the switch. Since there was candlelight, I didn't have to use electricity to do what I needed to do. As I remained in the room, I stopped what I was doing to take in the atmosphere.

I know that there are many people that enjoy the ambience of a candlelit room. For me, it brings a sense of calm and peace. I enjoyed watching how the light danced along the walls and ceiling of the room. I delighted in the spiritual experience as well.

I was reminded again that no matter how thick the darkness in the rooms of our lives, a small, singular light can break through it all. No need for a floodlight or a spotlight to break through the darkness. We only need a single flame.

We all experience darkness in our lives. We often hear it referred to as "the dark night of the soul". The darkness can envelope us at any time. It can come in the form of depression, a lost job, increasing stressors at home or work, an argument, growing feelings of bitterness and resentment, a busy schedule, a loss of purpose, an accident, a physical struggle, or emotional or spiritual pain. The darkness becomes an enemy to our spiritual well-being and health. We almost become comfortable in it and we forget that there is a light ready to shine into the darkness if we are willing to let it. This is how the enemy wins.

In the midst of whatever darkness you are experiencing, remember that there is a light wanting to shine and dance into your life. In Micah 7:8 it says, "Do not gloat over me my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light." May that be our confidence as well!

When we allow Him, even a small part of Him, into the dark areas of our lives, the darkness scatters and we begin to see the ways He is dancing through our lives...even in the midst of the darkest night. Because when the Light comes into our lives, the darkness is not dark to Him. His nature does not consist of any darkness...only light (reference to Psalm 139:11-12). Hold on to the Light...let it shine in the darkest area of your life and watch it dance. Watch it bring peace and calm. Experience the joy that the Light offers. Let it guide you and let it direct your paths. (Psalm 119:105).

Loving God, may your light shine in our darkness. Scatter the darkness that reigns in our hearts and our world. May your light overcome the depths of our despair, confusion, doubt, and fear. May your light dance in our hearts and burn brightly in our lives. We pray in the name of your Son, Jesus, the Light of the world. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Pastor Don! Why curse the darkness when we can light a candle?!

    Your bro, Pat
    Phil 4:13

    ReplyDelete