Thursday, October 22, 2009

Home Alone

Do you remember the first time your parents let you stay home alone when you were a kid? I don't quite remember the first time I stayed home alone, but I do remember the first time my parents took my three younger siblings out of town for the weekend and my older sister and I were able to stay at home by ourselves.

We thought we were all grown up. We understood the rules (Mom and Dad made sure we understood the rules if you know what I mean). We knew what was expected of us. What we didn't expect, however, was that our first night at home, the police ended up at our house!

Before your imagination runs wild with crazy parties and out-of-control teens, let me explain. You see, my sister's best friend from Kansas was coming into town that night. So, Lisa and I got in the car and I drove us to the airport to pick up Shelly. When we got home, I pulled into the garage as the girls were still engaged in conversation (actually, I don't think they ever took a breath the whole trip home). I was ready to let them go off and reconnect. I couldn't wait to have a thought to myself. Listening to that banter had been driving me crazy!

As we walked into the house, I was carrying the bags. We only got about 7 feet into the doorway when I sensed something was wrong. I had turned on the light and, almost in slow motion, I noted that the sliding glass door was open, the curtain was moving with the breeze. I looked to my left and noticed our VCR was gone. I looked to the right and noticed that my dad's computer was missing. I determined rather quickly we either had been robbed or were in the process of being robbed.

I told the girls to be quiet. They didn't listen at first until I pointed out to my sister that someone had been or was in the house. Like teenage girls do, they freaked out. We dropped the bags, got back in the car, and drove about 10 blocks to the nearest grocery store to call the police. Why we didn't go to a next door neighbor, I will never know.

To make a long story short, the police showed up, did a walk-thru of the house, and showed us where the robber had broken in. They fingerprinted the window and made sure we were doing okay. As the police were there, the phone rang. Wouldn't you know, it was my parents. They asked me how we were doing. I said, "Well, the cops are here." My mom thought I was joking. I assured her I wasn't. The police got on the phone with my parents and assured them we would be okay. They went on their way and my sister and I were never left home alone again.

I thought of that story when I read an email devotion this week from Rich Reich of life-group devotions. He quoted Kristin Armstrong who said, "Just as parents arriving home from a vacation do not want to find their teenager hosting a raging party, Jesus doesn't want to return to a disrespectful mess either. How will he feel if he comes back to collect his beloved people, the ones he gave his life for, only to discover that we have let our families and churches fall apart, made idols of money and worldly success, and allowed sin to pollute us? Like the parents of the teenager, I imagine he will not be amused."

Luke 12:37 reads, "Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant upon his arrival." As Rich shared his story, I was reminded of my own. But, I am reminded every day of how my spiritual home (my body, my mind, my spirit) is doing. Am I being vigilant in my prayer life, my study of His word, my practice of my faith, my love for all His children? Is my house in need of repair? When Jesus comes, will He be pleased to see how I have taken care of myself and His body? How am I, how are we, being vigilant in being His hands and feet in this world?

It is something I have to ask myself everyday.

Gracious God, help me to be vigilant in my faith. Remind me everyday of your deep love for me, so that I may be vigilant in sharing it with others. In Jesus's holy name. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pastor Don,

    Wow...I had never heard this story! Thanks for sharing your faith with me...

    Your bro, Pat
    Phil 4:13
    life-devotions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete