Thursday, March 17, 2011

Joy is Strength

Hello Friends!

I hope and pray that you have experienced the powerful presence of God in your lives this week. This has been a long week! On Wednesday I thought it was Friday - wishful thinking I guess! As you know from a previous post, our church family has experienced the death of two wonderful friends in the last week. That alone is enough to make a normal week, long and draining. Grief has a way of taking away some of the vitality of life for a while. On top of the grief, my heart has been burdened by many who are struggling with physical needs (some immediate, some ongoing), emotional crises, and spiritual challenges. Place on top of all of that the "normal" duties of a "typical" week, and the weight and burdens can easily bring one to his knees (from exhaustion and in prayer!).

As I anticipate the coming weekend and that benefits of a short Spring Break vacation, I continue to be reminded of some words that were spoken at the celebration of life service for Verle Pomeroy. Pastor Denny mentioned a time that Verle invited him over to his house. Knowing that life had been challenging the family for a while, Verle had Denny over to watch a funny video saying that sometimes you just have to laugh in the tough times. Oh the joy for life that Verle possessed, even in the midst of struggles and tribulations. And the gift that joy brought to the depths of Denny's life.

It reminds me of a 3rd century man who was anticipating death. Feeling a need to communicate his heart to a friend he said, "It's a bad world, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered in the midst of it a quiet and holy people who have learned a great secret. They have found a joy which is a thousand times better than any pleasure of our sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They are masters of their souls. They have overcome the world. These people are the Christians...and I am one of them." (Today in the World, June, 1988, p.18)

Living in the joy of every day moments and situations does not mean we have to be happy about our moment or situation. Happiness is an emotion, while joy is a state of the soul. Happiness is short-lived, while joy is everlasting. Happiness is conditional, while joy is given unconditionally.

In Psalm 94:19 it says, "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." I praise God in all things, but I give a little extra shout of joy for seeing me through a week like the one we just experienced. The joy that Christ brings makes the tough weeks, the unbearable burdens, and the deep despairs a lighter load to carry. The consolation of the Lord truly brings joy to my soul!

Whatever you may be going through right now, you don't have to like it and it may burden your soul in a number of different ways. But, when you allow the joy of the Lord to take hold of your heart and guide your spirit, those burdens are lifted and the anxieties lessened. The joy of the Lord can truly be your strength (Nehemiah 8:10)!

God of joy, thank You for the strength You offer and the burdens You lift. Thank you for the joy that only You can provide. Forgive me for holding on to my anxieties, my sorrows, and my troubles. Help me to realize that my grip on these things only keeps me from experiencing the joy You desire for me. I want to live in Your joy even when I don't like my circumstances. Remind me that I can discover Your joy in every situation. Open my heart, my mind, and my soul to receive it...again. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment