Wednesday, November 10, 2010

CPR

Happy Wednesday!

Over the past week, there has been much to be thankful for in my family and I don't think I have ever been as proud a parent as I am right now.

First, my daughter Haleigh got second place in her age category in the school district's scary story contest. After receiving the reward, she read her story to the audience using great tone, clarity, and inflection. She even got her picture on the front page of the newspaper! To say the least, I was a proud papa and it was great to see her get encouragment from her teachers and judges in something that she is passionate about...writing!

Secondly, I had the privilege of watching my son get a Student of the Month award yesterday and enjoyed listening to the teacher's comments...not just about his academic achievements, but, more importantly, his character and his work ethic. I am proud of the young man he is becoming and how his life is making a broader impact in the classroom and in his friends' lives. I hope the words he heard were a great strength and encouragement to his spirit. Again, I was a proud papa.

Lastly, I have had the honor of receiving some encouraging words from some of you and some good friends that came out of the blue. Whenever I receive a card or an email of encouragement I save it in a special file for those days when I am discouraged and feeling down. Somehow those words of encouragement lift my spirit.

I know you know what I am talking about. We all like to receive words of encouragement and support. We get enough of the negative in our lives. I haven't always been good at encouraging people. I tend to be tunnel visioned sometimes. But, over time I have learned the power of encouraging words.

Recently, I received an email from Karen Rogers who is our Acts29 editor for the church and she said, "Thanks for the CPR (Christ-centered Postivie Remarks)." I really liked the acronym she used and have reflected on it since. It is true how encouragement and words of love and support can resuscitate our lives and breathe new breath into our spirits.

November is the month of Thanksgiving and gratitude. It is the month of remembering those things that can bring our dying spirits back to life and give us strength to continue the journey. Also, tomorrow is Veterans Day - a day to be thankful for all of the men and women who have made incredible sacrifices to ensure the freedoms we enjoy today. If there is a veteran, active duty or reserve service man or woman in your life, make sure you reach out to them and offer them words of encouragement and support.

Offer words of encouragement to those around you this month. Get in the habit of offering Christ-center Positive Remarks that will lift them up from their burdens and breathe new life into their souls. May we remember the words from 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17, "May our Lord Jesus Christ and God our Father, who loved us and in his special favor gave us everlasting comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and give you strength in every good thing you do and say." Christ will give us the words, the compassion, and grace (especially for those we don't feel like encouraging) - all we have to do is be the vessel for God to provide a little CPR to the world!

"Holy God! You are a God of love, strength, and encouragement. Thank you for offering me words of support through the people in my lives. Take my life, my words, and my actions and use them to bring life to those around me through the power of Your Son, Jesus Christ. I pray in His holy name. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment