Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Unashamed

Blessings to you and yours on this beautiful day!

In just a few hours I will be leaving for Annual Conference and gathering with about900 clergy and lay people from Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming to share in our unity as United Methodist Christians, but to also discern the future path of the Church. As many of you know, I am not a "political" person and I do not enjoy the political nature that these conferences tend to possess. I do enjoy seeing colleagues I have developed friendships with and I do enjoy doing work that I feel is helping to build the Kingdom of God. I often get lost in the discussion of the issues and become quickly frustrated with how complex we have made our faith. But, even in the midst of all of this, I know that God is moving and leading. My prayer is that we, as a unified body of United Methodists, will hear that call and be bold witnesses to the faith we possess.

With that said, I was reminded of The Fellowship of the Unashamed poem that was in an email devotional I receive from my friend, Pat Castle. As I go to Annual Conference this year, this is my prayer for myself and for all of those who gather in Denver over the next four days.

"The decision has been made. I have stepped over the line. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is in God's hands. I am finished and done with low living, sight walking, small planning, the bare minimum, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, frivolous living, selfish giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, applause, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, the best, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith. I lean on Christ's presence. I love with patience, live by prayer, and labor with the power of God's grace. My face is set. My gait is fast, my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, and my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, let up or slow up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and spoken up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give until I drop, speak out until all know, and work until He stops me. And when He returns for His own, He will have no difficulty recognizing me." (author unknown)

Powerful and Almighty God, by Your Spirit and Truth, I have the power to make a difference in this world for You. Give me Your words and Your heart as I journey the roads this world offers. Remove from me any compromising Spirit that takes me away from You and create within me a heart that is rooted in the foundation of Your great love. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,

Pastor Don

No comments:

Post a Comment