Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Images of Life

Hello!

May God's peace surround you and bring strength to your soul this week!

I wanted to share an experience with all of you that I had this evening with my son, Ethan. We gathered at Merlino's Belvedere for the McKinley Elementary 5th grade graduation dinner. It was a wonderful event that truly honored the kids and their growth into budding teenagers. The meal was good, as well as the fellowship. Parents watched as the children got awards and were presented with certificates of their completion of their elementary education. The Student Council thanked their teachers and gave their gift to the school. All of these events during the evening were nice, but none prepared me for the thoughts that would flood my mind as the kids were presented with their 20 minute slide show.

As I watched the pictures flash in and out on the screen, my mind went back to when many of these kids were in 1st grade (when we came to Canon). It wasn't only my own son that I had watched grow up, it was everyone else's child as well. I've watched as the bonds between these kids got stronger. I remembered birthday parties, baseball games, pool parties, field days, and holiday parties in the classroom. I remembered how some would come up and give me hugs, whereas now they give a quick wave, a quirky smile, and some knucks if I'm lucky.

I was reminded of how quickly the time flies. I've always known that our kids grow up fast, but tonight was a searing reminder of just how fast that time slips through our fingers. I remember when Ethan was born I wrote an article in our church newsletter giving him back to God - knowing that I am blessed to have Ethan as my son as long as God allows. I remember thinking, and still do, that my kids are safest in the arms of their Creator than they will ever be in mine. I remember thinking that I didn't want to take the gift of who they are for granted. Yet, over time, I did. Until tonight.

So the pictures flashed and I caught glimpses of my son with his friends. I heard them all laughing when pictures came on the screen (they all sat together) and I thanked God that He blessed Ethan with such a wonderful class of young people. I prayed for them as the images danced across the screen. I know that Middle School is coming and I know the challenges they will face. I prayed that this night may be a night that they remember the innocence and joy of life as it should be. I prayed that the bonds they have made over the last 5 years may be strengthened, even through the changes that life will bring. I prayed that their future teachers would be as invested in their lives as the teachers they have been blessed with at McKinley - ones who not only cared about their education but also about developing their character as one of the kids said tonight.

Yes, my son is growing up and life will bring some new experiences. There will be other pictures to be taken, experiences to be had, and stories to be told. I pray that when he looks back on his life - the images that come to his mind will bring a smile to his face and remind him that God has had him in the palm of His hand the entire time.

Almighty God, thank you for the time I have on this earth with those I love. Thank you for the gift they are to me. Forgive me for taking them for granted. Be with those I love and continue to faithfully walk by their side. May Your joy be complete in them and may they know the fullness of Your presence in their lives. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment