Thursday, April 15, 2010

Be An Encourager

Good evening!

I don't know if you have one of these or not, but I have a small flip calendar that sits on my side of the sink in our bathroom at home. It has different sayings that are meant to encourage fathers to be a positive presence in the lives of their families. Every morning I flip to the appropriate day, read the quote, and reflect on it for a moment or two. To be honest, I don't think too much about it outside of those moments in the morning. However, a few days ago, one of the quotes was from Hebrews 10:24 and it has stuck with me all week.

The Scripture passage says, "Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works" (New Living Translation). I have read this passage many times. I have used it in sermons and devotions, but never has it stuck with me as it has this week. It has caused me to reflect on the nature of our life together as Christian people and to pay attention to the Lord's desire for us to encourage one another to show the realness of the love that is in our hearts by having tangible results that witness to Christ in our lives.

In this day and age, we hear a great deal of discouraging words and we may even be the recipient of discouragement at work, church, home, etc. But, we are called to be encouragers, ones who comfort, challenge, urge one another on in Christian hope and love. We all know what a discourager looks like - critical, judgmental, limited in their thinking, lack of investment, and just a drag to be around.

I'd like to reflect on what it looks like to be an encourager:
1. An Encourager sees the Possibilities - they see what God can do through others. They see the reality of the circumstances, but they are not limited to the evidence that is before them. For an example, check out Numbers 13 and Caleb the great encourager!

2. An Encourager gets Involved - Chuck Swindoll once said, "How many people stop because so few say 'Go!'?" An Encourager is willing to get his hands dirty. She is willing to take that leap of faith. An Encourager supports those around him and is willing to get involved, not sit on the sidelines and complain.

3. An Encourager Builds People Through Words - These words build up, rather than destroy. Check out Ephesians 4:29 or listen to the words of William Arthur Ward: "Flatter me and I may not believe you; Criticize me and I may not like you; Ignore me and I may not forgive you; Encourage me and I will not forget you."

4. An Encourager Prays for Others - Helping and encouraging someone means praying for them. In other words, building them up by lifting them up.

5. An Encourager is an Example- When we encourage others, we show them an example of Christ and lead them to Him. An Encourager isn't all words, but a whole lot of action.

Be an Encourager. Be one that sees hope and life in each person you meet. Be one that embraces hope and life in every situation. Be one that lives the hope and life of the One who encourages us on in the faith. Can you imagine if we all strived to be encouragers? Oh, the difference we could make!

God of Living Hope, forgive me for the ways my attitudes, my words, and my actions have discouraged and kept others from seeing You. May Your grace abound in my life so that I may become one that builds up instead of tears down and one that motivates others in actions of love and good deeds. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,

Pastor Don

No comments:

Post a Comment