Thursday, November 10, 2011

Veteran's Day Reflection

On this day in which we honor our veterans, I would like to offer some brief reflections and share two links to some videos that stirred my soul.

It is an understatement to say that I am extremely grateful for the men and women who have served our country through the armed forces. Their willingness to give their lives for the protection of freedom throughout the world and to stand for the dignity and rights of all people is inspiring. I do not ever want to take for granted the full sacrifice of many in giving their lives for the sake of others (John 15:13), nor do I want to take for granted the other sacrifices many have given: limbs, eyesight, separation from those they love, emotional and mental health, mental capacity from traumatic brain injuries, mobility, personal peace, and the list goes on and on. Only those who have gone through the traumas and horrors of war fully understand the sacrifices that have been and are being made. May God's grace and restorative power be in your lives.

I also want to honor those who have served our country during times of peace. While war was not raging, they trained and showed the willingness and ability to make the sacrifice. I am grateful for the time they took to train others to be about the work of a military officer, soldier, and seaman. They have modeled strength, courage, honor, and discipline and through their example have trained up those who protect us and others throughout the world today.

I would like to honor three men in my life that have served or are serving our country honorably:

Arthur Merle Bird: My grandfather who served in the Army during WWII. He was present at Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. He died when I was in Jr. High, but I remember his silent strength and his love for me.

Donald Merle Bird: My father who served in the United States Air Force. He is a retired Lt. Colonel and he continues to serve as a civilian professor of chemistry at the Air Force Academy. He became an officer at the end of the Vietnam War, but did not tour. Most of his service was during the Cold War. He is the most honorable man I know. He lives with incredible integrity and he serves his God, his family, and his country with pride. Thank you Dad for modeling for me a love for God, country, and family.

Christopher Ronald Bird: My little brother who is currently a Sergeant in the United States Army. He has finished two tours in Iraq and is currently training to be deployed to Afghanistan in February of 2012. His courage and boldness inspire me. His willingness to serve his country in a time of war creates a well of pride within me. So proud of you Chris and I pray daily for your physical, spiritual, and emotional protection.

This time of year evokes many emotions. But, it also evokes many questions. The first video below reminds us that some gave all and we should honor their sacrifice. The second video speaks of the results of war and the war at home. As I reflect on those who serve and on the ways they go about fighting for the cause of freedom and protection throughout our world, I wonder if I approach my life with the same urgency and passion to fight for the principles worth fighting for here at home.

Am I willing to go to battle for the injustices throughout our land? Am I willing sacrifice my time and "reputation" to stand up for those who have no voice or for those the world would rather ignore? What am I really fighting for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRGd0wI2tm8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wPphW5CoA&feature=related


Thank you Lord Jesus for the men and women who put their lives on the line for others. Thank you for theri example of sacrifice, honor, and service. Almighty God, be my strength in the midst of strife, conflict, and fearful circumstances. Give me boldness and courage to stand for that which is right in Your eyes. Keep my heart focused on You and may Your character be instilled within me. Forgive me for asking you to fight the wars I have waged and for asking You to be on my side. I want to be on Your side, O God, and fight against the evil, injustice, and oppression that is an affront to You. You, O God, are my refuge and my strength. You, O God, are a shield about me. May the life I live and principles I fight for be acceptable to You. In Jesus's name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,


Don

No comments:

Post a Comment