Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fearful or Fearless?

Good evening,

I wanted to take a moment to share with all of you the story of Gideon in Judges 6 and 7. It keeps coming to me in certain moments in my life over the past few weeks and it is having a profound impact my outlook on life and ministry. If you are not familiar with the story of Gideon, let me briefly share with you. Gideon was a timid man who was called by God to save Israel from their idol worship and from the Midianites. Gideon was not sure how God wanted to use him, but he was a man of faith and he wanted to be sure that God was leading him. God assured Gideon that he was the man for the job.

To make a long story short (and I encourage you to read the story), when Gideon was to come up against the Midianites he had an army of over 32,000 men. A rather formidable army. But God saw fear in the men of the army and God told Gideon to get rid of the men who were afraid. Gideon told those who were afraid to go home, so 22,000 men left...too afraid to fight. Fear defined their legacy.

God told Gideon that his army was still too big so Gideon looked for the men who were focused and carried themselves with a sense of purpose. The other men he told to go home...that was 10,000 men. This left Gideon with an army of only 300 men to fight the Midianite army! What would you say the odds of them being victorious would be? Isn't it like God to defy the odds and use what seems like scarce resources to bring about incredible victory? 300 men was enough!

When I am faced with fearful moments in my life, the Lord keeps bringing me back to this story. To live into God's purpose for my life, I cannot allow fear to lead me. Fear of conflict. Fear of what others may think. Fear of change. Fear of failure. Fear of rejection. Fear of my own emotions. Fear of the unknown. Fear of...(place your fear here). When I choose fear, God cannot use me. Remember, God does not give us the spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7).

Through the battles of my life, God desires for me to be like Gideon. To be fearless in my trust in Him. To be purposeful and focused in His mission for my life. To be watchful and willing to be led by His Spirit. I can either choose my fear and let it define my life and my relationship to God. Or, I can choose a fearless faith...willing to walk into the mysteries and battles of life knowing that my God will use my faith to bring about victory.

Are you led by fear? Is your church led by fear? Is your organization led by fear? If it is...go home. Get right with God. Then, when you're ready, join the battle and experience the victory you can find only in Him!

Mighty God, forgive me for my fearful ways and for being a barrier to your purpose in my life. Give me a spirit of courage, strength, and determination as I fight every day for Your truth, Your justice, Your love, and Your healing to be experienced in this world. I want to be a fearless faith follower! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Take Care & God Bless,
Pastor Don

No comments:

Post a Comment